Have you checked out our collaborative math board? Come on by and try it out, located outside the front office. Our new solution will be posted Tuesday!
- PAC presents the Harvest Festival Saturday, October 12th 11-2pm
- Long weekend, no school Monday, October 14th
- Hot dog day is Tuesday, October 15th -$2 (veggie and gluten free available)
- Police officer visit for K/1 classes Wednesday, October 16th
- BC Shakeout Drill Thursday, October 17th
Here is a helpful reminder on the importance of sleep routines:
Regular evening routines can help your child have a good night’s sleep which leads to positive social behavior, ability to focus on learning, and overall well-being. Parents and caregivers also benefit, in the form of reduced stress or worry, when children sleep well.
Healthy Families BC provides the following 10 Tips for Good Sleep Habits:
- Keep regular sleep and wake times – Help maintain your child’s body clock by keeping bedtimes and wake-up times on weekends within two hours of school day routines.
- Reduce noise and light in your child’s bedroom.
- Turn off electronics 1 hour before bedtime (i.e. loud music, phones, screens, TV).
- Eat the right amount at the right time – Feeling hungry or too full before bed can make the body more alert, uncomfortable and unable to fall asleep.
- Relax before bedtime (i.e. bathe, brush teeth, read, listen to calming music).
- Ease the morning rush – Wind down the day together (i.e. get clothes ready for the next day, make lunch, pack a school bag).
- Make sure your child feels safe – Afraid of the dark? Try a night light and avoid scary shows, movies, etc. before bed.
- Get plenty of natural light in the daytime – Natural light helps the body produce melatonin at the right time in the body’s sleep cycle. Be active and exercise in the daytime – Physical activity helps children to sleep longer and better, but, late night active play and sport increase the body’s temperature and makes it harder to go to sleep.
- Avoid caffeine in the late afternoon and evening (including energy drinks that contain caffeine).
I trust that everyone is taking advantage of the beautiful weather as sunshine and fresh air contribute to a healthy mind and body at work and at play!
Principal of Valleycliffe Elementary
Sea to Sky School District (SD48)