Hi VCE Families,
A few of us from VCE attended the Learning and The Brain Conference this February and we are looking forward to sharing what we learned throughout our remaining monthly newsletters. Stay tuned in March for some great insight into Educating Anxious Brains –Creating calm, connected, Mindful, and Trauma-Sensitive Schools.
As we head closer to the break it is important to continue with good sleep habits leading up and during the break. Here are some reminders on good sleep habits:
- Keep regular sleep and wake times – Help maintain your child’s body clock by keeping bedtimes and wake-up times on weekends within two hours of school day routines.
- Reduce noise and light in your child’s bedroom.
- Turn off electronics 1 hour before bedtime (i.e. loud music, phones, screens, TV).
- Eat the right amount at the right time – Feeling hungry or too full before bed can make the body more alert, uncomfortable and unable to fall asleep.
- Relax before bedtime (i.e. bathe, brush teeth, read, listen to calming music).
- Ease the morning rush – Wind down the day together (i.e. get clothes ready for the next day, make lunch, pack a school bag).
- Make sure your child feels safe – Afraid of the dark? Try a night light and avoid scary shows, movies, etc. before bed.
- Get plenty of natural light in the daytime – Natural light helps the body produce melatonin at the right time in the body’s sleep cycle. Be active and exercise in the daytime – Physical activity helps children to sleep longer and better, but, late night active play and sport increase the body’s temperature and makes it harder to go to sleep.
Thank you for the continued donations for our Kindness Road Trip! We will still be accepting donations next week up until Thursday. Here is what we are looking for:
– Canned dog food, dog toys and extra long puppy pads to donate to the Squamish SPCA
– Used or new adult gloves and new medium sized adult underwear to donate to Helping Hands
– Non-perishable food items like canned soups, dry pasta and rice to donate to the Squamish food bank
– And crafting supplies to make crafts for Hilltop House
If you are able to donate any of these items please drop them off at either Mrs. Nunn’s classroom, Ms. Brant’s classroom or in the office. Thank you!
Congratulations goes out to the Grade 5/6 basketball team who gave it their all against Mamquam last night. There was some amazing long shots, fancy lay ups and great hustle on defense. Most of all, it was exciting to see Valleycliffe’s true sportsmanship and teamwork.
They look forward to their last tournament on Tuesday to wrap up a terrific season.
Well done team!
Howe Sound Secondary School is excited to present “Grease”! The shows are March 4-7th at the Eagle Eye Theatre. Showtimes are 7pm and there is a matinee on Saturday March 7th at 2pm. Tickets are only $10 for students and $15 for adults. They can purchased at Squamish Academy of Music or at the school office at Howe Sound Secondary. You don’t want to miss this show! It features: a live band, a stellar cast, awesome sets, lots of dancing and of course the fun drama of the pink ladies and T-Birds!
Monday, March 2nd –PAC Meeting at 6pm
Tuesday, March 3rd –Popcorn Day
Thursday, March 5th –Report Cards home for regular reporting (If your child is in a class that is part of the Communicating Student Learning Pilot, points of progress will be coming home by the end of April)
Principal of Valleycliffe Elementary